Friday, June 6, 2008

THE ORPHAN

Chapter 4- I couldn’t find an appropriate title for this one. :)

There was a silence broken only by the sounds of children’s laughter issuing from the Dining Hall accompanied by the clatter of spoons and knives.

Andy, who was just about to say the same thing, was surprised.

‘I’m sorry Mr. Bennington, but I’m afraid you’ll have to take me too. Its like this- Andy’s mother and I were close friends. And before she died, she asked me if it were possible for me to look after him. So I’m afraid I’m going to have to keep my promise. If Andy stays, I do. If he doesn’t then I don’t.’

‘Are you telling me that you’re going to follow this boy around wherever he goes?’

Ms. Evans went slightly pale; it seemed Mr. Bennington had touched a nerve by questioning Ms. Evan’s authority. He made it seems like as though she was demanding for the post of Andy’s personal maid servant.

‘Not really Mr. Bennington. If you were just anybody, I mean to say someone who didn’t know Andy at all, then I’m afraid we would’ve had to refuse your offer. But since you have taken a personal interest in Andy, I’m afraid its left to him to decide his future, though I will always be accompanying him, till he’s old enough, of course.’

Andy felt helpless. Things weren’t going the right way at all.

‘Alright, if you say so. You can accompany Andy to London. And you are young enough. I suppose, if you have any interest, you can join one of the Universities there that might have you, considering you’re good at splitting, of course,’ said Mr. Bennington.

This blatant acceptance seemed to have shaken Mrs. Potter. She was clearly banking on him to refuse.

‘Alright then, when are you planning on leaving Mr. Bennington?’

‘Right now. I’m sorry but there is no other time that can be fixed. My coach is waiting outside.’

‘But Mr. Bennington! We have to pack! And I haven’t resigned from my old job yet! Not to mentio-’

‘I can take care of all that, no need to worry,’ said Mr. Bennington with an air of a person trying his best to push all silly and worthless obstacles aside. ‘If we leave now, we’ll have 15 minutes to spare to catch the only train to London from here. C’mon then!’

Mr. Bennington stood up.

‘Wait!!’ Andy couldn’t take it any longer. ‘Mr. Bennington, I’d like my friend to come too. Megan.. she’s a really good friend of mine.. I’d hate to leave her behind like this.. I mean..’

But Mr. Bennington was looking out of the window, his eyes unfocused, with an expressionless face. There was just a slight hint of disbelief, but it might have been imagined. Andy felt he really wasn’t explaining too well, and if he screwed it up Megan would never forgive him. No. He would never forgive himself.

‘Mr. Bennington, you see, Megan’s been my best friend ever since I came here. And it would mean a lot to me if you could just-’

‘Who else am I going to take along next? The cook?’ Mr. Bennington sighed but his eyes were twinkling.

‘Does that mean.. that .. you’re gonna let Meg-’

‘Only if you get her right now Andy. Otherwise we’ll miss the train.’

Andy ran towards the door, ecstatic. He’d had no idea how worried he was about Megan not being able to join him. He wrenched open the door and almost collided with Megan. She was breathing very fast as though she’d just run, and said, with her eyes shining, ‘I’m ready when you are Mr. Bennington!’

No comments: